I'm very honored to be a guest blogger here on Lovely Serendipity today. I don't think many of you know me, so let's start by introducing myself: I'm Apollonia from Vintage 150395, a Dutch girl aged 17 with a passion for photography and art. My blog is mostly about photography, lifestyle and other randomness...
To stay in the topic of 'better blogging', I'll talk to you today about the use of pictures on your blog. Although content is probably the most important thing for a blog, the first thing your visitors see are the images on your blog, so it's really important they keep them hooked! Here are some things to consider:
- Quality is key - As I already said, the first thing your visitors see are images. So make sure they're of good quality! The reader will - unconciously - take the image as an indication for the quality of your blog. If your photos are blurred, dark or the subject of your photo is unclear, your visitors won't get a good first impression of your blog. Try using a digital camera rather than your phone, use natural lighting and make sure the subject stands out from your background.
- Authencity - Use your own photos! First of all, copying photos from other websites without permission is illegal. Especially when you use photos from weheartit or tumblr, because those pictures always actually have another source which are hard to trace back. Mentioning the source to your images won't do it, without permission it's still illegal. Also, visitors are most likely to come back if they see your blog is original: both in content as in photos. What is the fun of reading ten posts containing the same images!?
- Relation to your post - Preferably, use images which are related to the content of your post. People tend to skim a post and skip most text. If the images in your post are related to the content, you're visitors might get curious and actually read your post! Also, it's a good indication for what your blog is about.
- Outfits and self-portraits - I don't say it's a must, but I personally think self-portraits give a personal touch to your blog. If you have a fashion blog you obviously use outfit photos, but if not: consider a self-portrait from time to time! Ask help from family or a friend or install your camera on a tripod or a pile of books (worked for me!). Go to the forest, make photos with your dog, jump in the air, everything is possible! Your visitors will like to see the person behind the blog they're reading!
- Editing - Editing gives a last touch to your images. It's not even that difficult and it can make so much difference! Some free easy editing software is for example Picasa and Photobucket. Make your photos lighter if they are too dark, change the colourtones a bit and they can turn so much better! Here is an example of one of my photos, before and after editing:
I hope you've learned something today, and hopefully I will see you soon on my own blog Vintage 150395!